Thursday, April 24, 2008

Best Practices

As the end of the semester approaches I thought I would summarize a few lessons that stood out for me when I reflected on what I've learned. These "best practices" apply to all businesses and are especially important for young people looking to begin a career in PR. 

Writing: "You must be a strong writer." -Everyone
Technology: Blogging, second life/avatars, social networking sites, Blackberries. Be a pro.
Branding: "People always ask 'why do these wealthy people get free products?' They are the best walking advertisers that money cannot buy." -Gigi Howard
Media Relations: Databases, pitch carefully, wine and dine
Personality: Balance shy and aggressive, be outgoing, put together, friendly
Networking: Do it 24/7, write thank you notes, be current
Launching a career: Critical thinking, recognition of duties not title, "Confidence, enthusiasm, and an investment in your career." -Mike Lake

1 comment:

College Bloggers said...

Good posting. Remember to include links where possible. Hope you keep up your blog. If you change the name let me know so I can keep up with you. Have a great summer.
--Prof. Flournoy