Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Something to think about...

Since enrolling in a class that centers around maintaining my own blog, I've found myself typing the word "blog" more often than usual. As I was spellchecking my last post, I noticed that my computers spell-check did not consider "blog" to be a word. "Blog" is not in the dictionary I've had since being in college, however it is listed on dictionary.com with a definition. I just thought it was funny, maybe a little ironic, that as many of us are writing posts about popular blogs have become, the very machines that allow us to write on those blogs don't know the word exists.

2 comments:

Frances Martir said...

Hahaha I noticed that too. It was pretty annoying having to go back and do spell check and not have that word come up. How come blog is not in the dictionary if its an up and coming technology tool? You would think it would be in a computers dictionary at least.

mica said...

The New York Times reports "blog" was added to the Oxford English Dictionary in 2003. I read somewhere else it was added to a couple others in a relatively short period of time (something like 2 years in popular language). What kills me is the NYT uses the word "truthiness" in articles. A word that Stephen Colbert flat-out invented.